From the Mind of Master Imaginationist Crystal Connor ~"A Trusted Name in Terror."

The Darkness, Artificial Light, In The Valley of Shadows

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Shhhhhh! I am now a member of a secret society.

Word of the Day:
Procumbent
PRONUNCIATION: (pro-KUM-buhnt) adjective:
1.Lying face down; prostrate.
2. Of a plant: Growing along the ground without putting new roots.

How to survive a horror movie tip # 4
If you find a town that looks deserted, it's probably for a good reason. Take the hint & stay away.

Praeclarus Intus Scriptum!
“Excellence in Writing”

FINALLY! I have been accepted and am now a member of “secret society!” We have our own code, motto, pledge, and there’s even a secret handshake! Right now I am just an associate member. I have four more “test” I have to pass, and I will, before I can be considered to walk among the ranks of Full Membership.

I am so gonna bust my ass to make it thru the grueling, near death, don’t look into the light, initiation process because only then will I be allowed to participate in the Midnight Bloodletting Ritual to gain favor of the Dark Nether Demon Sha'Daadicus whose apocalyptic resurrection will bring forth a new age!

I am now a proud member of The Fictioneers, which is a group that promotes a family atmosphere and a strong support system to encourage the authorship of science fiction, horror, and fantasy tales; and also commits to the pursuit of excellence in the writing of fiction of the fantastic. And actually that’s the motto of the “Fictioneers Praeclarus Intus Scriptum,” Excellence in Writing. As you can see I wasted no time slapping our logo up on my blog.

When The Darkness was released I was so excited at the prospect of becoming a member of a writing association I started applying for memberships the day after the book went on sale a month later I was devastated over how pompous and condescending that most of these members and clubs are and I started to think that maybe being associated with these type of writing clubs wasn’t in the best interest for me or my writing.

Last year I attended two of my 1st horror conventions and it was there that I heard for the 1st time the words “independent press” and it didn’t take long before I was wooed. There was no “Now that I am a published author I can’t talk to unpublished wanna be writers, or offer tips on your work” clause it was really quite the opposite.

The 1st person I spoke with via email was author Robert R Best, and when he found out I was about to be published not only did he cheer me on he gave me tons of contact info on where to submit some of my other work. If it weren’t for Robert I would have never met Timothy Long or Jonathon Moon. Thru John I met Jessica, Rebecca & Matt. Tim introduced me to Stephanie. I learned about a group called Black Science Fiction Society at a convention and have meet too many amazing authors and graphic novelist to list.

As a whole the indie writers is not such a secret society…but it’s definitely a society that I am proud to be a member of. For more information about the Fictioneers check us out at:
Oh and btw, the whole conjuring up a demon thing isn’t real…or is it?

4 comments:

  1. Great blog! I really like the word of the day. Lovee the background. Check my blog out at kstoreyxo.blogspot.com & dnt forget to follow so you dnt miss out on anything (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's up gorgeous! How did you find me...Your blog is hella cute too! Karla because your an Event Manager I am going to follow your blog as a concierge check it out: www.the206concierge.blogspot.com because you have some really cool things my clients can benefit from. The Homemade Drive-In? Are you kidding me how awesome is that =D Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just browsing through blogs & I loooved your background (: so I stopped by to check it out. Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog, Crystal. And totally enjoyed the conceirge one too.

    Have a great one!

    Jianne Carlo

    ReplyDelete