From the Mind of Master Imaginationist Crystal Connor ~"A Trusted Name in Terror."

The Darkness, Artificial Light, In The Valley of Shadows

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Bad Dreams, A Few Reviews and Current Project: The ramblings of sleep deprived-delusional-insomniac.

Word of the Day:
Lacuna
PRONUNCIATION: (luh-KYOO-nee)
noun: An empty space, gap, missing part, an opening. (just like in my mind.)

How to survive a horror movie tip # 7
Anniversary nights of executions, horrible murders, or terrifying rituals should be viewed with fear. Especially on the spot where the event took place. Most especially on even century anniversaries. And certainly if you or a friend is somehow descended from one of the original participants.

Wow, I can’t imagine how hard it must be to be a fan of space cadet dingbat (that would be me) super sorry for the absence tons of stuff going on. Today I had to force myself awake from a dream I was having about cupcakes.

I was on trail and the cupcake prosecutor was screaming at me, he said “Is it TRUE Crystal, that you no longer eat cupcakes for breakfast and are now eating APPLES instead?! And is it ALSO true that your even considering TRYING packets of the Breakfast On The Go?!” The courtroom erupted and the honeybun judge was beating the gavel and that’s what helped me wake up because it wasn’t the gavel I was hearing but someone at the door.

And who was it… the Mexican lady selling tamales =/ I am being to think the evils of sugary goodness and saturated fat have joined forces to conspire and sabotage my 50 pound weight loss goal.

So for those of you who also follow me on facebook know that I entered The Darkness into the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Awards and I made it to the 2nd round! The 1st round was judged on the “hook”, and I was super pumped to have made it past that first round! The next round was judged on a 5000-word excerpt, but I didn’t advance…which is fine because after reading some very nasty feedback that a lot of other authors received they can all kiss my ass because that’s not the kind of project I want to be a part of.

Some of the things that were said about my work pissed me off but is nothing compared to what was said about other author’s work. Here’s my “feedback”

[The narrative was hard to follow at times. It jumped all over the place. Some times, it seemed like the writer was going for noir and at other times, cold speculative fiction. Other times, it read like pure pulp fiction. Not sure if that was intended but it seemed haphazard. It creates a feeling of sloppiness and rushed pace of author who does not respect his/her work enough or his/her readers enough to just settle on one style and go from there.

The world building needs more details. There need to be more transitions between info, showing how one thing relates to another. The author needs to spent more time making transitions between scenes. These are the fine points that get a reader interested in a character, the setting and finally the story. This story has much potential but needs work to fine tune the details.]

Ok, so nothing makes me madder than a lazy reader. Out of all the reviews, comments, and emails I received for The Darkness, this person is the ONLY ONE who had troubles following the plot and felt that my world building needs more detail. I’d be willing to bet that this person didn’t actually read those 5000 words but just skimmed thru it. I’ve entered another contest and I promise to keep you all posted…Wish me tons of luck =D

Book II in the Spectrum Trilogy, Artificial Light is moving along beautifully. I have a new editor Stephanie Kinkaid who rocks btw and we’ve already begun the editing, and even though she rocks I have come to the conclusion that I do not like the reworking phase of book writing…dudes it sucks.

Stephanie was interviewed today Lori Titus (another smoking hot Virgo horror writer, like myself) over at Flashes in the Dark Radio here’s the link to the postcast:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/flashes-in-the-dark-radio/2011/04/17/authoreditor-stephanie-kinkaid

I am working on a story for ...And They All Lived Happily Ever After, called "The Lazarus Antidote" and for some reason I'm having a tough time with it and as of right now its really kicking my ass.

I feel like the pace is not fast enough and there's not enough action so I told myself it wasn't a good story. And then I tried to sabotage my self by asking others to read it so that they could confrim that the story sucks...but here's the thing, so far everyone whose read it LOVES IT. And to tell you the truth I was just looking for an excuss to stop working on it because I'm having such a hard time with it.

I'm not too sure if it's normal for a writer to be so unsure about a project while everyone around them is cheering them on. So I am going to push thru until Friday and then I am going to put it back on the backburner to return to Artificial Light and Amber's New Friend. But what I can say for sure is that I am way happier with what I have now compaired to the very 1st version of this story. I'll keep you all posted.

Oh you guys! Strange Tales of Horror by NorGus Press which features my short story The Monster is now available!! If you click on the book cover on the right-hand side it will take you to Amazon where you can purchase it =D

I have been reading these stories and there pretty amazing, and I have been writing a review for each story and posting them both on Amazon and Goodreads here is the link to the reviews, I have four more I need to post but I will share it will you guys but for now here is the link for what I’ve posted so far:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/145634005

And here another review for Strange Tales of Horror by author Eric Dimbleby which includes a review for “The Monster.”

http://www.facebook.com/#!/note.php?note_id=10150143503102060

Ok that’s all I have for now…DVD pick of the week coming Wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment