From the Mind of Master Imaginationist Crystal Connor ~"A Trusted Name in Terror."

The Darkness, Artificial Light, In The Valley of Shadows

Saturday, October 4, 2014

LIVE ACTION REVIEWS! At the Devil's Door

Things you never see black people doing in horror movies: Thing # 30
Ignoring the deep, scary voice that said "Get out now!"

At 1:30 am on Sept 12th, 2014, Crystal Connor, wrapped in a fleece blanket, seated in front of the fireplace with a bowl of cereal picked up her remote and clicked play.  For the next hour and 34 minutes her neighbors were subjected to screaming, crying, and expletive outburst¦

This is the unedited journal chronicling the harrowing experience her neighbors were forced to endure as she watched, Nicholas McCarthy's Home aka At The Devil's Door

Reader discretion is Advised
Entry 1: Really?! You just sold your soul for $500.00

Entry 2: You gonna need those tennis shoes too.

Entry 3: Was that me?

Entry 4: DON'T!

Entry 5: Oh my fucking God, here we go =D

Entry 6: No dude, no one wants to sell a house that fast, do your research.

Entry 7: Ohhhh ok, that's where I've seen her, that's the girl from Magic Magic

Entry 8: Its too late now chicca

Entry 9: The alarm went off, so you go close the door and stay inside?! 

Entry 10: Look behind you!

Entry 11: Leave that fucking mirror covered up

Entry 12: See, I fucking told you

Entry 13: The fuck?

Entry 14: Oh my God pls don't hurt this baby

Entry 15: No, no, no, no, no

Entry 16:WHAT?!

Entry 17: Why did you go at night? Really¦

Entry 18: What's the deal with uncovering the mirror

Entry 19: GET OUT OF THAT HOUSE!!!!

Entry 20: You know damn well you didn't leave that door open

Entry 21: Why would you do that?!

Entry 22: She's not gonna listen¦ they never do

Entry 23: What the fuck are you packing for, just get in the car and leave

Entry 24: Too late now, its been eight months

Entry 25: lol, she's even got on little red shoes

Entry 26: No! Your being lured into a trap.

Entry 27: DUDE TURN AROUND!!!! 

Entry 28: Oh my fucking God.

Entry 29: This is best movie I've seen in my entire life

Plotline: When ambitious young real estate agent Leigh is asked to sell a house with a checkered past, she crosses paths with a disturbed girl whom she learns is the runaway daughter of the couple selling the property. When Leigh tries to intervene and help her, she becomes entangled with a supernatural force that soon pulls Leigh's artist sister Vera into its web - and has sinister plans for both of them.

Scariness Factor: Off the scales!

Gross-out Factor:  N/A

High Points: This is a really smart, multi-layered, deceiving plot and when you finally realize what's really happening its completely stunning and unexpected. The true victim of this movie was truly innocent and was caught up in something horrific, through no fault of her own which made what happen that much worse.

ATDD is character driven and most of the cast are women. Except for the foolish decisions of a child, there not stupid, air-headed women running around nearly naked and playing with an Ouija boards or attempting to summon the dead, which makes it easy to worry about them.!  

Another thing that I loved but didn't catch until I watched it again was none of the people in the movie are screaming. 

I hate it when they show the monster, when we saw the beast from M. Night Shyamalan's Signs it ruined the entire movie. The monster makes an appearance a couple of times but it's so fleeting you can't even see it  

Complaints: None.

Overall: I think watching horror movies should be an ˜interactive€activity (which is why I watch them alone) and the more I yell at the people on the screen the more fun I'm having. I'm a tough customer and I can be pretty unforgiving when it comes to the myopic way in which I prefer to be entertained. At 29 nine entires this movie was a blast! I loved the characters, the storyline and the ending...OMG. I am going to watch it again and then go find all the other movies this guy has ever produced! 

Stars: Five full blazing stars

Where I watched it : VOD
***
The guys over on the Atlantic compiled a list of every single horror movie that will be on TV for the entire month of Oct, so if you live in North America here are all the horror movies that will be on TV tomorrow. Oh and be sure to follow their advice and check your local listings

 1:00 a.m. Heavy Metal 2000, Chiller
 2:35 a.m. The Conjuring, HBO
 9:00 a.m. The Cursed, SYFY
 11:00 a.m. Stephen King’s Rose Red, SYFY
 11:30 a.m. Warm Bodies, HBO2
 2:00 p.m. Trollhunter, Chiller
 2:25 p.m. Tales from the Crypt Presents: Demon Knight, HBO Comedy
 4:30 p.m. Elsewhere, Chiller
 5:00 p.m. The Reaping, SYFY
 5:50 p.m. Red Dragon, HBO Zone
 7:00 p.m. Terror Trap, Chiller
 9:00 p.m. Shutter, SYFY
 9:00 p.m. The Second Arrival, Chiller
***
Ok, today's short film is absolutely one of my favorites because I am so easily seduced by visuals€¦I always have been. Another reason why Carousel works for me is that it tells a story with using words. I super love the graphics and these are the type of images I want you to 'see'€™ when your reading a book w/my name on it. Speaking of which I gotta get some writing done! Enjoy the night and I'll see you all 2morrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment