From the Mind of Master Imaginationist Crystal Connor ~"A Trusted Name in Terror."

The Darkness, Artificial Light, In The Valley of Shadows

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

DVD pick of the week: Sci~Fi Double Feature!


Simply put there are some amazing things being produced from the science fiction’s side of the fence and for one I couldn’t be any happier.

1st up, Damir Lukacevic’s Transfer 2010


Plotline: The premise is simple: a rich old German couple have their minds transferred into gorgeous young black bodies so they can continue their life and love. The wrinkle is that the original occupants are not purged, but awaken each night for four hours to live their own lives in the midst of their German host lives. Is this a prison or an opportunity?

Scariness Factor: Despite this is being a sci~fi film and not a horror movie the tone and implications are extremely unsettling and chilling so I’ll give it a 3 ½ out of  5

Gross Out Factor: N/A

Complaints: I really can not find one thing to complain about in regards to this movie.

High Points: We truly believe the older couple are deeply in love, can understand their decisions, and their misgivings. As we get to know the couple from Africa (Sarah from Ethiopia, Apolain from Mali) we understand their motivations and frustrations. The clever aspect is having four characters play out their drama in only two bodies. It's more of an intimate social drama designed to make you think. I loved this movie, it tackles racism, capitalism, medical ethics and what a soul is, but in mostly subtle ways.

Personal Commentary: Excellent movie. I was looking for some kind of cerebral sci-fi, and I definitely found it. There was a lot more social commentary than I expected which was great. Gorgeous architecture: I loved the visuals in this movie. I recommend it to everyone

Stars: 5

Where I rented it: Watched it free online

Next up  Sebastián Cordero’s Europa Report 2013


Plotline: An international crew of astronauts undertakes a privately funded mission to search for life on Jupiter's fourth largest moon.

Scariness Factor: N/A

Gross out Factor: N/A

Complaints: NONE. Not one!

High Points: Europa Report is presented as a retrospective assessment by a mission controller on Earth, it’s a well crafted movie and you can easily imagine this is an actual space mission. It reminds me a lot of Duncan Jones' fantastic movie Moon, (which I fell in love with and rated 5 stars) and there is also a cameo appearance by Neil deGrasse Tyson =D

Personal commentary: Ok you guys need to be sitting down for this. Europa Report is a ‘Lost Footage Film’

I know right, for those of you who follow me only for the DVD picks know that I can NOT stand found footage films. There will never, ever, ever be another Blair Witch Project (which I thought was awesome) what we’ve been forced fed instead are cheap copycats of the original masterpiece. 

If I had known this was a found footage film I would have missed this gem of a movie! (Thank God the person who told me about this left out that tiny detail)

The thing I found most amazing is you (at least I didn’t) don’t realize this until the very, very end because you're too busy clinging to hope.  I can go on and on about this movie but I’m not going to all I hope is if you have the time that you check out this amazing movie!

Stars: 5 Stars!

Where I rented it: Magnolia Pictures VOD  

No comments:

Post a Comment