From the Mind of Master Imaginationist Crystal Connor ~"A Trusted Name in Terror."

The Darkness, Artificial Light, In The Valley of Shadows

Sunday, April 24, 2011

DVD Pick of The Week: Movies From Both ends of The Spectrum.

Word of the Day:
HighfalutinPRONUNCIATION: (hy-fuh-LOOT-n) adjective: Pompous; bombastic.
Also spelled as hifalutin or highfalutin' or hifalutin' or highfaluting.


How to survive a horror movie tip # 23
Stay away from certain geographical locations. Such as: Amityville, Elm Street, Transylvania, Nilbog, the Bermuda Triangle, or any small town in Maine.

I’ve got two movies for you this week, this 1st one was recommended by one on my blog followers and the other comes from one of my favorite production houses After Dark Productions.

1st up:
There’s Nothing Out There!


Plotline: seven kids going to a remote cabin and falling prey to an alien! This time around though, one of the kids knows that they are part of a horror movie and knows exactly what is going to happen next, and of course ... his friends don't pay attention.

Scariness Factor: 0 out of 5 stars, there is nothing remotely scary about this movie and I wouldn’t be surprised if this film was the inspiration Scary Movie.

Gross-Out Factor: N/A

Complaints: N/A

High Points: The over the top cheesiness, slapstick dialogue, gratuitous nudity and a random cat! I can’t believe I haven’t seen this movie before now especially since it’s considered to be a cult classic.

Personal Commentary: Had I’d seen the trailer for this movie or saw it in a video store I would have passed it up, but after getting way too many emails from the same follower I knew the only way to make the emails stop was by reviewing this movie. I have to say, I’m glad he persisted. There’s nothing out there is a blast to watch!

Stars: 5 Stars

Where I rented it: Comcast on Demand

Next at bat:
Husk


Plotline: A small group of friends becomes stranded in the country following a horrific car accident, and encounter a psychotic scarecrow while searching for help.

Scariness Factor: 4 Stars out of 5

Gross-Out Factor: N/A

Complaints: The only thing that drove me mad was the very stupid choices these guys made.

High Points: I almost passed this one up because the all of the synopsis suggests that this is another zombie movie (sighs, eye rolling, and head shakes) it has nothing to do with zombies, it’s more a modern day tale of Cain and Able told with Children of the Corn creepiness.

I really liked how they all started turning on each other when things started going wrong, it wasn’t any of that “I can’t go on, save yourself” crap. Towards the end they tried to regroup but things don’t always go as planned.

Another thing I thought was cool was one of the characters developed a stressed induce ability to have visions of past events and it worked nicely to fill in the back story.

Personal Commentary: I’m not really sure how many times you people are gonna make me tell you to stay out of that damn ass cornfield, since you insist on not listening stop crying about it now … it’s your own damn fault.

Stars: 5 Stars

Where I rented it: Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment